Derek announced as the Chief Judge for the 2012 Salon Privé Chubb Insurance Concours d’Elégance
Salon Privé is proud to announce that endurance racing legend and five times Le Mans winner, Derek Bell MBE, will once again lead the Chubb Insurance Concours d’Elégance judges in September.
With Salon Privé taking place this year from 5th – 7th September, Derek will be joined at the Luxury Supercar Event & Chubb Insurance Concours d’Elégance by a panel of prestigious judges from the worlds of motorsport, automotive, design and the media for judging day on 7th September.
Joining Derek as Concours judges will be:
• Annette Abaci, Vintage Automobile Specialist, rmauctions
• Dr Ulrich Bez, CEO, Aston Martin
• Keith Bluemel, Ferrari Historian and Author
• Ian Callum, Design Director, Jaguar Cars
• Julius Kruta, Bugatti historian, author and consultant
• Marcel Massini, Ferrari enthusiast and historian
• Harry Metcalfe, Founder and Editorial Director, EVO
• Dr. Adolfo Orsi, President of Historica Selecta
• Steve Parrish, motorsport commentator and former motorcycle racer
• Suzi Perry, British television presenter
• Marek Reichman, Director of Design, Aston Martin
• Frank Stephenson, Styling Director for McLaren Automotive
• Peter Stevens, international car designer
• Malcolm Wheeler, Associate Director at Mortons Media Group and Editor of Classic Racer
• David Woodhouse, Chief Designer, Strategic Concepts for Ford Motor Company
• Andrea Zagato, Car Design Chief, Zagato
Derek Bell, chief judge for this years Concour’s at Salon Privé said: “With such an exquisite line up of exclusives and debuts, it is an honor to have been asked to be chief judge again this year at Salon Privé. I am particularly excited about the very special ROFGO Gulf collection and the line-up of unique shooting brakes. The only place on earth you will see such a gathering of automotive rarities is Salon Privé at Syon Park in September – and I for one wouldn’t miss it for the world.”
2012 will be the seventh consecutive Salon Privé and will boast a range of new features and exhibits, with more supercar and premium brands than ever before.
• 18 of the world’s 22 ROFGO Gulf collection race cars will be exhibited together in one place for the first time
• Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera Disco Volante – 60 year’s celebration with models from the 1950s and 2012 seen together for the first time
• Disco Volante 2012 – only seen once before at the Geneva International Motor Show in March this year – makes its British debut at Salon Privé 2012
• Ferrari F40 – 25 years celebration – a stunning collection of F40 models will lead the Concours
• Mercedes-Benz Gullwing – 60 years celebration – stunning exhibits from the 1950s and the fantastic new SLS
Expected to steal the limelight at this year’s event is the very special ROFGO Gulf Collection.
Salon Privé is delighted to be able to unearth this rare collection of Gulf cars from Adrian Hamilton’s country house and bring them to Syon Park on full public view together for the very first time.
These cars, instantly recognisable from their iconic sky blue and orange livery, stretch right back from 1967 (the 1967 Mirage was the first Gulf-liveried car to run at Le Mans) to the present day (the 2010 Lamborghini Gallardo competed in the GT2 Championship).
In a year when Her Majesty The Queen celebrates the 60-year Diamond Jubilee, the Mercedes-Benz Gullwing is also celebrating its own 60th anniversary in the public eye and will be on display in all its glory at Syon Park this September.
Named because of its unusual “Gullwing” upwards lifting doors, the car was initially conceived as a purpose-built racing sports car and went on to achieve immediate iconic status – as evidenced by 2011’s equally striking tribute SLS, also exhibited at Salon Privé in 2012.
There will also be a special exhibit dedicated to memorable cars from the movies, including some rare DeLorean examples and a number of vehicles from the Bond franchise of 007 films over the years.
As always there will be some exquisite collectors’ models from overseas, including a number of unique one-offs such as:
• Lamborghini Flying Star (1961 Turin Motor Show car)
• Aston Martin DB4 Bertone Jet
• 1912 Type 16 number 471, the oldest competition Bugatti and the personal racing car of Ettore Bugatti
• Ferrari 330 GT Vignale shooting brake, exhibited by its owner – Jamiroquai front-man, Jay Kay
Luxury motorbikes will take their rightful place on the Salon Privé lawn, led by some beautiful custom Harley Davidson models direct from Milwaukee, from 1912 to 2012.
In a year of anniversaries, it is also the 25th birthday of the iconic Ferrari F40 – a collection of which will lead the way at this year’s Concours d’Elégance.
The memorable Italian supercar, which was produced from 1987 to 1992, will be one of the jewels in Salon Privé’s crown this year. A mid-engine, rear-wheel drive, two door coupé, the F40 was the fastest, most powerful and most expensive car that Ferrari sold to the public. Only 1,315 F40s were manufactured in total, several of which will form a central part of this year’s Concours.
NEW FEATURES & EXHIBITS – HIGHLIGHTS
Alongside the event’s impressive portfolio of partners will be a number of new brands representing sectors such as yachts and yacht brokers, luxury marble, accessories, fashion, furniture and audio-visual equipment.
New for 2012 will be a special ‘Aviation Lawn’, which will provide the event’s high net worth guest list with a greater insight into the ownership and charter options that exist within the private aviation industry.
The inaugural Art and Memorabilia Fayre will also take place on the Concours Lawn, supported by the Zurich-based private bank, EFG International and featuring a fabulous collection of automotive paintings, prints and photographs from yesteryear and the current day. This artwork will feature some of the most iconic racing liveries ever seen.
In keeping with this year’s somewhat Italian theme, three dazzling Touring Superleggera Disco Volante will arrive on Syon Park’s lawns for the first time, fresh from a recent debut at the Geneva International Motor Show for the 2012 model.
This modern flying saucer is built on the bones of the Alpha Romeo 8C Competizione and boasts 443 horsepower from the rear wheels of the car.
The Touring Superleggera is set to turn a few heads at Syon Park in September.
Also representing iconic Italian design will be a special Concours d’Elegance class dedicated to the Bugatti vintage competition series – perhaps the most valuable gathering of automotive royalty to grace the Salon Privé lawn in the event’s history.
• Aston Martin
• Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera
• Harley Davidson Motorcycles
• With further exciting exhibitors to be announced later this year
Indicative of Salon Privé’s ongoing success is the news that Chubb Insurance has signed a new three-year deal to hold title rights for the world class Concours d’Elégance. With the quality of the cars already renowned and with this year’s range of cars set to top previous years’ line-ups, the Concours event is widely regarded as one of the top three classic car Concours in the world, alongside Villa d’Este and Pebble Beach.
This year, the Concours will be renamed ‘The Chubb Insurance Concours d’Elégance at Salon Privé.” Chubb Insurance is acknowledged as the leading insurer of classic cars and supercars and is a company that has won more awards than any other specialist insurer.
The all-new Art and Memorabilia Fayre makes its debut on the Concours Lawn, supported by the Zurich-based private bank, EFG International.
Meanwhile, Salon Privé will also welcome back a loyal portfolio of sponsors of previous years, including:
• Audemars Piguet, the luxury Swiss watch brand – celebrating the 40th anniversary of the timeless Royal Oak Collection
• Boodles, the premium jewellers and Salon Privé Ladies Day sponsor, will be showcasing new pieces from the Jazz, Ocean and Paisley collections
• Vertu, the luxury mobile telephone handset brand, launches the Constellation Quest Ferrari handset – an incredible device combining the Vertu principles with specially curated Ferrari content and experiences
• Pommery, the champagne label, providing the finest champagne throughout the Salon Privé event
FORMAT OF EVENT
Wednesday 5th September 2012 – Salon Privé Press Day (11am to 5pm)
Thursday 6th September 2012 – Boodles Ladies Day (11am to 5pm) followed by
The Diamond Jubilee Ball (7pm to 1am)
Friday 7th September 2012 - Chubb Insurance Concours d’Elégance Judging Day (11am to 7pm)
With more to enjoy than ever before, Salon Privé is shaping up to be a fabulous sell-out event once again in 2012. Tickets are fully inclusive of Pommery champagne, lobster luncheon, English afternoon tea and provide full access to all areas.
Tickets can be purchased via the Salon Privé website www.salonprivelondon.com or by calling the ticket hotline: +44 (0) 808 1002205
Image © Jonathan Sharp